DESIGN IS OUR WORLD
The products we choose…the clothes we wear…our work, home and play environments…are shaped by visual communication. The Associate of Applied Science in Design + Visual Communication will help prepare you to enter the high-energy industry of branding and advertising. You’ll be exposed to timeless creative principles, plus the latest technologies and trends to meet the demands of our design-hungry culture.
As a design + visual communication major, you’ll have the opportunity to develop brand identities, product and packaging designs, websites, mobile app design and UX, and digital marketing campaigns—and graduate ready with a robust print and digital portfolio to take into your career.
Is Tribeca’s Design + Visual Communication Degree Program Right for You?Are you the type of person who:
- Has a strong attention to detail, and sense of color, texture and composition?
- Sees creative opportunities everywhere you look? If you think about how you would design the ad campaign, website or experience differently now’s your chance.
- Dreams about a future designing for print, packaging, web and mobile, or digital motion graphics?
- Is eager to jump into the design process and learn by doing in a collaborative, team setting?
- Communicates well with others, and can adapt different perspectives to help creatively solve old problems in new and interesting ways?
- Is looking to develop advanced skills in design?
- Graphic Designer
- Web Designer
- Art Director
- Production Artist
- Motion Graphics Artist
- Experiential Designer
For more information about this design + visual communication degree program’s graduation rate, median debt of students who completed the program, and other important information, please click here for this program’s gainful employment disclosure.
What You Can Learn
In this Graphic Design program, students have the opportunity to build broad and transferable skills in the principles of design for print and interactive applications. Here are some of the skills taught in the A.A.S. in Design + Visual Communication program.
- How to use high-end industry software, including the Adobe Creative Suite
- Foundational principles of design
- Design principles for web, mobile, and interactive/experiential design
- How to develop brand identity systems, advertisements, product packaging, websites, digital marketing, and more
- Create Motion Graphics for delivery across all media from concept to storyboard to execution
- Computer Technology
- 2D Image Manipulation
- Composition I
- Composition II
- Introduction to Media and Motion
- First Year Experience
- Web Development I
- Web Development II
- Design Process
- Color Theory
- Graphic Design I
- Graphic Design II
- Graphic Design III
- The Hero’s Journey
- General Math
- Oral Communication
- Flashpoint Studios
In this program, you’ll also participate in liberal arts courses offered through our General Education department. By tailoring these courses around the five core competencies (written and oral communication, information literacy, critical thinking and quantitative reasoning) students are given a foundation of knowledge and skills that will enable them to be successful college students, well-rounded, lifelong learners, and professionals in the media arts. Learn more about our General Education Department here.
WHY TRIBECA FLASHPOINT IS THE BEST FOR DESIGN + VISUAL COMMUNICATION
Project-based curriculum. At Tribeca, you get immersed from day one. Classes are designed to put you to work collaboratively in teams on real-world projects. You’ll have opportunities to build your confidence, skills and a professional portfolio to help launch your career.
Cross-disciplinary experience. Unlike traditional graphic design schools, Tribeca joins students from different programs in a capstone course each year to work on a project alongside those who are fulfilling the various roles in the marketing and creative process. This reflects the on-the-job reality that may become your career, and starts here in your first year.
High-tech campus. The Tribeca campus is loaded with world-class environments and equipment. Featuring a professional screening room, film and recording studios, sound design suites, visual effects labs and more—this is the place to get prepared for your career.
Practicing professionals as your instructors. Faculty at Tribeca don’t just teach—they mentor. In our focused, personalized environment you’ll get maximum attention and support from instructors who know you, and will guide every step of your education.
Deep industry connections. With the endorsements and support of some of the industry’s top players, Tribeca offers incredible opportunities to meet your future employer through career services workshops, speaker events, portfolio shows and more.
Support every step of the way. With financial aid options for those who qualify, seamless transfer credit assistance, academic support workshops, and so much more—the Tribeca community has a deep commitment to the success of every student from the first day of class to graduation and beyond.