LAUNCH YOUR CAREER IN FILM WITH A STRONG, MARKETABLE FILM SKILLSET.
Film professionals are expert storytellers with the opportunity to create content that can touch hearts, change minds and truly change the world we live in. From web-based shorts to corporate work to feature films and beyond, film offers the opportunity to share your vision in meaningful and rewarding ways.
The Associate of Applied Science in Film degree program includes a strong foundation in filmmaking — with preparation on how to script, shoot, edit, produce, and direct a broad range of digital content.
IS TRIBECA’S FILM Degree PROGRAM RIGHT FOR YOU?Are you the type of person who:
- Has a strong desire to create and tell stories through a career that is evolving and changing with technology?
- Wants to experience immersive hands- on learning in a collaborative setting?
- Is passionate about film, and energized by the idea of creating digital moving images?
- Wants to build a career in the dynamic film industry, and have the ability to work in all facets of visual media?
- Has deep curiosity and drive? Filmmakers are always learning and growing, and must have the tenacity to work hard and do whatever it takes for the art and the deadline.
- Set Production Assistant
- Office Production Assistant
- Art Production Assistant
- Script Supervisor
- 2nd Assistant Camera
- Assistant Director
For more information about this program’s graduation rate, median debt of students who completed the program, and other important information, please click here for this program’s gainful employment disclosure.
What You Can Learn
In this associate film degree program, students have the opportunity to build broad and transferable skills in screenwriting, cinematography, producing, directing, and post-production. Here are some of the topics students will have the opportunity to cover.
- Principles of cinematography and how to use a variety of professional cameras
- Principles of lighting for the camera
- Principles of directing
- Principles of screenwriting and Final Draft screenwriting software
- Principles of editing and various professional editing software
- Principles of producing and leading projects from development through post-production
- Computer Technology
- Composition I
- Composition II
- Introduction to Media and Motion
- Production Module I
- Producing in Practice
- Production Module II
- Flashpoint Studios
- Advanced Topics: Film Production
- Advanced Topics: Film Technologies
- First Year Experience
- The Hero’s Journey
- General Math
- Oral Communication
In this program, you’ll also participate in liberal arts courses offered through our General Education department. By tailoring these courses around the five core competencies (written and oral communication, information literacy, critical thinking and quantitative reasoning) students are given a foundation of knowledge and skills that will enable them to be successful college students, well-rounded, lifelong learners, and professionals in the media arts. Learn more about our General Education Department here.
WHY TRIBECA FLASHPOINT IS THE BEST FOR FILM
Project-based curriculum. At Tribeca, you get immersed from day one. Classes are designed to put you to work collaboratively in teams on real-world projects. You’ll have the opportunity to learn the principles of cinematography, lighting, directing, screenwriting, editing, producing and more. All of that as you also build your confidence and a professional portfolio to help you launch your career.
Cross-disciplinary experience. Unlike traditional film schools, Tribeca joins students from different programs in a capstone course each year to work on a project alongside those who are fulfilling the various roles in the marketing and creative process. This reflects the on-the-job reality that may become your career, and starts here in your first year.
High-tech campus. The Tribeca campus is loaded with world-class environments and equipment. Featuring a professional screening room, film and recording studios, sound design suites, visual effects labs and more—this is the place to get prepared for your career.
Practicing professionals as your instructors. Faculty at Tribeca don’t just teach—they mentor. In our focused, personalized environment you’ll get maximum attention and support from instructors who know you, and will guide every step of your education.
Deep industry connections. With the endorsements and support of some of the industry’s top players, Tribeca offers incredible opportunities to meet your future employer through career services workshops, speaker events, portfolio shows and more.
Support every step of the way. With financial aid options for those who qualify, seamless transfer credit assistance, academic support workshops, and so much more—the Tribeca community has a deep commitment to the success of every student from the first day of class to graduation and beyond.